Pasta with Sausage and Tomatoes

Pasta with Sausage and Tomatoes

I wanted to make a pasta dish Sunday for dinner and since I had just recently made and frozen a large batch of Italian sausage, Sandy suggested I defrost a few and make pasta with sausage. Great idea! I used sweet sausage for this but if you want to go spicier you can use hot sausage or increase the amount of red pepper flakes.

Pasta with Sausage and Tomatoes Recipe

Prep time: | Cook time: | Total time:

Serves 4-6

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1 pound sweet Italian sausage meat (stuffing from 4 links)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt to taste
1 35oz can imported Italian tomatoes
6 fresh basil leaves
1 pound mezzi rigatoni

1. Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sautè, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add sausage meat, red pepper and salt to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until sausage is browned approximately 10 minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, crush the tomatoes with your hands then add them with their juices to the pan. Add 1/2 cup of water and bring to a simmer. Turn heat to low and let simmer until thickened, about 45 minutes. At the very end of cooking, tear 2 of the basil leaves into pieces with your hands and stir into the sauce.
  4. While sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the mezzi rigatoni. Cook uncovered over high heat until al dente.
  5. Drain the pasta and toss with half of the sauce. Dish pasta out into individual serving plates, top with a little more sauce, garnish with the remaining basil leaves torn by hand and serve.

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestby feather

22 Comments

1. This pasta dish is so beautiful, it must be very delicious!

2. that dish looks absolutely wonderful and delicious. I love that it’s simple too

3. That looks delicious and what a beautiful picture, I also love to add Cubanelles and sweet onions to this dish.

4. I love sausage and with tomatoes and pasta, it’s always a winner. Thanks for the recipe.

5. Looks so delicious. Love both the great recipe and photo :D

6. Looks scrumpious can’t wait to try it on my Italian hubbie

7. Thank you, the dish looks wonderful & stirs up the appetite! Am making for dinner tonite. Will post my results. Would love to hear comments from anyone who has already made it.
    Can I get a suggestion on a good red wine to serve with it?

8. Add some frozen peas and some cream.

Family Favorite

9. Yum! This pasta looks delicious and comforting.

10. iubbybop y9ytgviybkivcytvc klgiyvuit

11. ….minute I saw this dish I had to try it. Of course I always “doctor” recipes and as such, I added the meat from one link of hot Italian sausage…and omitted the red pepper flakes. I also added a bit more basil. It’s a very tasty and easy dish to make, and will be in the regular rotation of my dinner meals.

12. Wonderful and simple – thanks for sharing your recipe. I tried it and added sliced rings of Cubanelle peppers, a healthy tablespoon of tomato paste, and a pinch of oregano.

13. I used black pepper sausage instead of sweet sausage and add some cream. Delicious!

14. dinner for tonight

15. http://roostershamblin.wordpress.com/ would you please spend a few minutes checking out my chicken blog because it is very informative about all things chicken related. I have been raising more than 50 breeds of chickens 40 years.

16. it looks great!!!

17. Made this dish tonite for dinner – added a big handful of baby spinach – fast, easy and deeeeeliciou!!! Will definitely be on my regular recipe list.

18. I fix this dish often just as is but often times I haven’t a particular ingrediant. Tonight I was out of onions but I had some mini yellow, orange and red peppers so used that instead. We love spicy so used hot Italian sausage and the crushed pepper flakes. This is a duplicate recipe of a simple dish we order at one of our favorite little restaurants near our apartment in Rome.

19. I AM GOING TO TRY TO MAKE THESE DELICIOUS PASTA BECAUSE IN THE PICTURE IT LOOKS SO DELICIOUS AND TASTE

20. Just made this and it was a success! Perfection within a plate, highly recommended.

21. Why use frozen? We will ship our homemade fresh Italian sausage to your doorstep in a cold packed insulated box…we’ve been voted “Best Sausage” by Connecticut Magazine for the last three years and favorably reviewed by the New York Times.
    Give my mother in law, Assunta – Sandy for short, a call at 1-203-574-1272 and she will ship your preference…hot or sweet…to your doorstep!

Submit a Comment