This recipe is best made with thick asparagus spears; however if all you can find are thin ones, wrap 2-3 spears in each slice of prosciutto. This dish can be served as an appetizer or a side dish. Regardless of the course served with, it always draws praise from my dinner guests.
Prep time: 5 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 25 min
16 large asparagus spears, tough ends removed
salt to taste
16 slices of prosciutto, sliced thin
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small bits
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Butter a baking dish large enough to hold the asparagus.
- Bring a sauce pan 3/4 full of water to a boil. Add the asparagus and salt and cook until the spears are just beginning to bend when lifted by the stem, 5-7 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Wrap each asparagus spear in one slice of prosciutto and place in the baking dish.
- Dot with the butter and sprinkle with the cheese and pepper.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot directly from the dish.