- It must be relatively quick and easy to prepare.
- It has to be tasty enough to make me actually want to cook after a hard day at work. It’s much easier to get motivated if, as the work day ends, I am eagerly anticipating dinner.
My favorite weeknight pasta dish, Pasta with Grape Tomatoes, satisfies both of those requirements perfectly. I have been making this dish so regularly lately that every time I am in the supermarket I pick up a pint of grape tomatoes knowing that I will be using them in the near future. My wife, Sandy, likes capellini and I like spaghetti, so the spaghettini became our little compromise. But, you can actually use any pasta you prefer or happen to have on hand.
Pasta with Grape Tomatoes Recipe
Prep time: | Cook time: | Total time:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 large garlic cloves sliced thin
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt to taste
1 pound spaghettini pasta
2 large basil leaves, torn into pieces by hand
freshly grated Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese for serving
- Add olive oil and garlic to a large sautè pan over medium heat. Cook until garlic is lightly browned, then add the sliced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Saute the tomatoes until they are softened and have started to release their juices, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of liberally salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook until al dente.
- Strain pasta and transfer to the sautè pan with the sauce. Add the basil, and toss until completely coated.
- Dish out into individual serving bowls and serve with grated Parmagiano-Reggiano.
Recommended for This Recipe:
Note: This post contains affiliate links.