Tiramisu literally translates to “pick me up.” We have had many requests for this classic Italian dessert and I’m sure my mother’s recipe which is presented here will pick up anybody who tries it.
1 Package of Savoiardi (Italian Lady Fingers)
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup of sugar
1 lb of Marscapone cheese
1 cup of heavy cream
1 cup freshly made espresso coffee
1/4 cup cocoa powder
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar until the mixture is thickened and light lemon color.
- Add the marscapone cheese and mix thoroughly.
- In a medium bowl whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Fold the cream into the cheese mixture.
- Dip the Savoiardi in espresso and line a 9 by 13 inch pan with them.
- Pour in half the cheese mixture and smooth.
- Add another layer of the Savoiardi dipped in espresso.
- Pour the remaining cheese mixture on top and smooth.
- Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours and dust with cocoa powder before serving.