Chicken Parmigiana with breaded chicken cutlets, marinara sauce, parmigiano and melted mozzarella cheese is a classic Italian-American comfort food.
- 4 chicken cutlets, about 1 to 1-1/2 pounds total
- 1 cup of flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced into thin slices
- fresh basil or parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the chicken cutlets between two pieces of wax paper and pound thin.
- Spread the seasoned flour out in a tray or a plate, beat the eggs in a shallow bowl, and spread the bread crumbs out in a tray or plate.
- One at a time dredge the cutlets in the flour on both sides, shaking off the excess, dip them in the eggs then dredge in the breadcrumbs, making sure to coat well.
- Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium-high heat.
- Working two at a time, place the breaded cutlets in the pan and cook turning once, until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Spread 1 cup of the marinara sauce across the bottom of a baking dish or pan just large enough to hold the cutlets.
- Arrange the cutlets in the pan and then spread the remaining cup of marinara sauce on top.
- Sprinkle the Parmigiano-Reggiano over the cutlets, then top each one with slices of mozzarella.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook until the cheese is melted and starting to brown slightly, 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer to serving plates, garnish with chopped fresh basil or parsley and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins