- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Place 2 cups of the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from the heat when milk just begins to simmer.
- Add chocolate to the hot milk and stir in until completely melted.
- Combine remaining 1 cup of milk, cocoa powder, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl, then stir into hot milk and chocolate mixture.
- Return pan to medium heat and cook, stirring until mixture thickens, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.