- 2 tblsp of olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/8 of a pound Prosciutto di Parma, chopped
- 1 28 oz can of imported Italian tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 pound of penne pasta
- freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese for serving
- Heat olive oil in large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Then add the prosciutto and cook until onion is translucent and prosciutto is browned.
- Crush tomatoes very coarsely and add with juices to onion and prosciutto mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper, then fill tomato can half way with water and pour the water into the pan.
- Cook 15 to 20 minutes, until sauce thickens. At the very end stir in the basil.
- While the sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and the penne. Cook uncovered over high heat until al dente.
- Drain pasta, put back in pot add some of the sauce to the pot and mix it up. Dish out pasta spooning remaining sauce over top. Serve with freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano on the side for sprinkling.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins