Sarde a Beccafico is a traditional Sicilian dish of butterflied sardines stuffed with a sweet and savory mixture of bread crumbs, pine nuts, currants, anchovies, garlic and parsley. Baked in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil and squeeze of lemon, it truly is a taste of Sicily.
- 16–20 fresh sardines, butterflied with spines and heads removed
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cups currants
- 1/4 cup pignoli (pine nuts)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3–4 anchovy filets, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for coating baking dish and drizzling
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- Approximately 30 minutes before preparing stuffing place currants in warm water to soak.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine bread crumbs, pignoli, garlic, parsley, anchovies and salt & pepper.
- Drain the currants and add them to the mixture along with the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Stir to mix well.
- Oil a baking dish just large enough to fit the stuffed sardines snugly.
- Spoon about a teaspoon of stuffing on top of each butterflied sardine and roll up. Start rolling from the top of the fish down to the tail. Place the rolled up sardines in the baking dish.
- When all sardines are stuffed and in the baking dish, you should still have some stuffing left over. Sprinkle some of the leftover stuffing on top of the sardines.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive and squeeze lemon juice on top of the sardines and place in the oven.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until sardines are cooked through and stuffing on top is golden brown.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins