- 1 large sweet yellow onion
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 links of Italian Sausage, sweet, hot, or a combination of the two
- 4 club, hero or wedge rolls, split
- Peel the onions, cut them in half and slice, thinly, cross-wise.
- Cut the peppers in half, remove the stems and seeds, and slice into thin strips.
- In a large skillet, preferable cast iron, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, and cook stirring frequently until onions are translucent and peppers are soft, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if using a gas grill turn the burners on one side to high. If using a charcoal grill, pile the coals on one side if the grill and light them.
- Place the sausage directly over the fire and cook, turning until browned on all sides. Then move to the side of the grill with no fire, cover the grill and cook, turning once until sausage is done, 8-10 minutes.
- Slice the club rolls open and place two links of sausage in each roll and cover with a heaping portion of the peppers and onions. Serve with a cold beer to wash it down!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins