- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound ciopollini onions
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 Tuna steaks
- salt & pepper to taste
- several mint leaves, cut into strips
- In a large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the ciopollini onions and cook, until lightly browned on all sides and slightly softened 8-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the balsamic vinegar, sugar, water and a pinch of salt, and add to the onions.
- Cook the onions, stirring occasionally until the mixture is reduced down to a syrupy texture and sticks to the onions.
- Season the tuna steaks on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the tuna steaks to the hot skillet and sear each side for 1 minute for medium-rare.
- Place the tuna steaks in serving plates and spoon the onions on top or around the sides. Sprinkle with the mint and serve.