- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus plus some for brushing on a sheet pan
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Place squash on a lightly oiled sheet pan, place in oven and roast, turning once, until golden and tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until the rice is well coated and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the wine to the rice, and cook, stirring for a minute or two. Then add a 4 to 6 ounce ladel of simmering stock and cook, stirring occasionally, making sure to wipe the sides and bottom of the pot clean as you stir, until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue adding the broth a ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is completely absorbed before adding more.
- After about 20 minutes begin to taste the rice. It is ready when it is tender and creamy, but still a little firm to the bite.
- Remove from heat, and add the squash with the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and the Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese, stir until well combined. Transfer to serving plates and serve.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins