Butternut squash is one of my favorite fall/winter ingredients. When the season comes, I especially look forward to having two dishes: Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Butter and Sage and this Butternut Squash Risotto. Over the years I have experimented with different timings and methods of incorporating the squash into the risotto, and I found I like this method of roasting the squash, and adding it at the very end the best. The squash breaks up just enough to give it the perfect color and consistency. If you have some really good aged balsamic vinegar a sweet and tangy drizzle over the top just before serving complements the creaminess of the risotto quite well.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus plus some for brushing on a sheet pan
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Place squash on a lightly oiled sheet pan, place in oven and roast, turning once, until golden and tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until the rice is well coated and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the wine to the rice, and cook, stirring for a minute or two. Then add a 4 to 6 ounce ladel of simmering stock and cook, stirring occasionally, making sure to wipe the sides and bottom of the pot clean as you stir, until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue adding the broth a ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is completely absorbed before adding more.
- After about 20 minutes begin to taste the rice. It is ready when it is tender and creamy, but still a little firm to the bite.
- Remove from heat, and add the squash with the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and the Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese, stir until well combined. Transfer to serving plates and serve.