- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup freshly brewed espresso
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Combine water and 1/2 cup of the sugar sugar in a small sauce pan over low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved, making a simple syrup. Remove from heat.
- Stir the freshly brewed espresso into the simple syrup.
- Transfer the mixture to a flat metal pan and pace in the freezer. Every 30 minutes take the mixture out and stir it up with a fork, breaking up any ice crystals that form. Do this for 3-4 hours. As the mixture gets more frozen you will be scraping the ice with the fork to mix it up.
- If you want a granita that is more slushy to be eaten immediately, stop after 3 hours. If you want one that is more granular that will store for a couple of days in the freezer go to 4 hours scraping the frozen mixture with the fork to create ice crystals.
- Combine the heavy cream with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar in a large bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
- Place a little of the whipped cream in the bottom of a serving glass, spoon the granita in, then top with a lot more whipped cream.