- 3 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 4 egg yolks
- Stir the milk and sugar together in a medium sauce pan over medium heat and add the vanilla bean. Heat until bubbles begin to form around the edges. Remove the pan from the heat and steep for 15 minutes, then remove the vanilla bean.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks together. Slowly whisk the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks and transfer the mixture back to the sauce pan. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon, 8 – 10 minutes and remove custard from heat to cool.
- Once cooled. transfer the custard to large bowl and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours.
- Remove custard from refrigerator and process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- If serving Affogato, scoop gelato into a bowl and pour a freshly made shot of hot espresso over the top. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 45 mins