The trend in Italian restaurants today to be new and innovative has unfortunately forced some excellent traditional dishes such as Chicken Cacciatore off the menus. This is a shame, because if you ask me great food should never go out of style. Here is Chef Paolo’s version of this classic dish.
1 three pound chicken cut into pieces
1 large onion chopped
1 pound mushrooms sliced
1 cup dry sherry wine
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups marinara sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat Olive Oil in large, high sided frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until browned on all sides.
- Add the onions and mushrooms, cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Drain the oil, add salt, pepper and wine. Cook for 1 minute, stirring and scraping bottom of the pan, to mix in the pan residues.
- Add marinara sauce and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving dish., pour the sauce over the chicken sprinkle with parsley and serve.