In Italy, Porchetta is a deboned pig, stuffed and rolled, and there are many versions depending on the region. I wanted to make Porchetta, but was not quite up to deboning and stuffing a pig, so I decided to do what you might consider “Porchetta Lite”. After doing some searching through recipe books and on the interwebs to see what other people have done, I saw a few variations. Some used pork loin, some pork shoulder, some pork belly. I even came across a few that used pork loin wrapped in pork belly! Again, that seemed like a bit of overkill to me. I figured Pork belly suffed with some Tuscan inspired herbs and garlic and rolled up would make for a delicious and easy porchetta in a home oven. I was right, it turned out great.
- 4 lb boneless pork belly, with the skin on
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lay the pork skin side down on a work surface, and with a sharp knife, make a few slits in the flesh.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sage, rosemary, garlic, 2 teaspoons of salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Spread the mixture all over the exposed surface of the belly, working it into the cuts in the flesh. Roll up the pork belly and tie tightly with butcher’s twine.
- Place rolled and tied belly in a roasting pan. Make some cuts in the skin with a sharp knife, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours. The juices should run clear when pierced with a knife. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes, loosely tented with foil. Slice and serve.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 mins
Recommended for This Recipe:
Regency Wraps Cotton Butchers Cooking Twine with Cutter For Meat Trussing, Food Prep, Natural, 500 ft Cone/Cutter (Pack of 1)
Note: This post contains affiliate links.