I am extremely allergic to shellfish, which would not be a problem if had this condition my whole life and I really didn’t know what I was missing out on. Unfortunately, this is not the case; I developed it as an adult, long after Shrimp and Lobster were entrenched near the top of my favorite foods list. When I first started having reactions I still indulged occasionally, considering the puffy eyes and hives minor nuisances. It was only after the reactions started getting really bad that I gave the food up altogether. It definitely wasn’t worth risking my life over. I can honestly say after quite a few years, I don’t really miss or crave shellfish any more… except for this dish. Whenever I see or smell good Shrimp Scampi I raise my fists to the heavens and curse this stupid allergy!
Serves 4-6 as an appetizer
16 jumbo shrimp, cleaned and de-veined
8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 lemons, cut in half
1/2 cup fish or chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 tablespoon of paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, add butter, garlic, parsely, salt, pepper and juice of one lemon, mix until well combined.
- Place shrimp in a baking pan just large enough to fit them. Place 1/2 tablespoon of the butter mixture on each shrimp.
- Add white wine and broth to the pan, making sure not to cover the shrimp completely.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Remove pan from oven, squeeze juice from the remaining lemon on top, sprinkle with paprika, place back in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer shrimp to serving platter, drizzle sauce from pan on top and serve.