Every once in a while I pick up my copy of Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan, and flip through it looking for inspiration. Most times that inspiration comes in something that is so simple, that I kick myself for not thinking of it on my own. Prosciutto, cream and Parmagiano-Reggiano makes an awesome quick pasta sauce that goes great with fresh pasta. Paglia e Fieno (Straw and hay) is a combination of plain fresh pasta and green pasta flavored with spinach.Print
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced Prosciutto di Parma
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh green and white fettuccine or tagliatelle
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmagianno-Reggiano cheeseplus additional for serving
- Slice the prosciutto into thin strips. Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add the prosciutto and cook, stirring until it starts to crisp up, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cream, salt and pepper, and cook until the sauce has thickened, 2-3 minutes. Take the sauce off the heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook uncovered over high heat until al dente and drain.
- Place the pan with the sauce back over medium heat, add the pasta, and grated Parmagianno-Reggiano cheese to the pan and toss until well coated.
- Serve with additional grated cheese on the side.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins