Pasta with Sausage and Cream is a hearty, substantial dish that is quick and easy enough to make on weekday night. If I had to pick a region that this sauce is typical of I would say Emilia-Romagna, specifically Bologna. I don’t know if they would serve it on penne there, but I think it works quite well.
Penne with Sausage and Cream Recipe
Prep time: | Cook time: | Total time:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, sliced thin
1 pound crumbled sweet Italian sausage meat (stuffing from 4 links)
1 cup heavy cream
salt & pepper to taste
1 pound penne pasta
freshly grated Parmagianno-Reggiano cheese
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sautè, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage meat and cook, stirring occasionally until sausage is browned approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the cream, salt and pepper, and cook until the sauce has thickened, 2-3 minutes. Take the sauce off the heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the penne. Cook uncovered over high heat until al dente and drain.
- Place the pan with the sauce back over medium heat, add the pasta to the pan and toss until well coated.
- Serve with grated Parmagianno-Reggiano cheese on the side.