Pasta with Sausage and Cream is a hearty, substantial dish that is quick and easy enough to make on weekday night. If I had to pick a region that this sauce is typical of I would say Emilia-Romagna, specifically Bologna. I don’t know if they would serve it on penne there, but I think it works quite well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 pound crumbled sweet Italian sausage meat (stuffing from 4 links)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pound penne pasta
- freshly grated Parmagianno-Reggiano cheese
- Heat olive oil in a medium sautè pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sautè, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage meat and cook, stirring occasionally until sausage is browned approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the cream, salt and pepper, and cook until the sauce has thickened, 2-3 minutes. Take the sauce off the heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the penne. Cook uncovered over high heat until al dente and drain.
- Place the pan with the sauce back over medium heat, add the pasta to the pan and toss until well coated.
- Serve with grated Parmagianno-Reggiano cheese on the side.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Recommended for This Recipe:
Note: This post contains affiliate links.