This past weekend my mom came up to spend the day and I wanted to make something special, so I reached into my old school bag of tricks and made Veal Sorrentino. It had been quite a while since I made this and I had forgotten what a great and unique veal dish it is. Veal scallopini topped with prosciutto, eggplant and mozzarella in a wine sauce with just a touch of tomato, it just all comes together. I am always nervous when I make one of my dad’s old dishes for my Mom, because I am not sure it will live up to the memory, but based on her reaction I think I did pretty well.
Veal Sorrentino can be a bit of work, but you can make it more manageable by splitting it up a bit and frying the eggplant ahead of time. If you are not a veal eater, boneless chicken breast is also excellent prepared Sorrentino, just pound the breasts thin and cut into scaloppini in place of the veal.Print
Veal scallopini topped with prosciutto, eggplant and mozzarella in a wine sauce with just a touch of tomato, it just all comes together.
- 2 large eggs
- 1–1/4 cups olive oil
- 1 eggplant, cut crosswise into 8 slices about 1/4-inch thick
- flour, spread on a plate for dredging
- bread crumbs, spread on a plate
- 8 veal scaloppini, cut from the top round, thinly sliced and pounded
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 8 slices of Prosciutto di Parma
- 8 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Lightly beat the eggs in a deep dish, using a fork or a whisk.
- Heat 1 cup of the olive oil in a medium saute pan over high heat. Dredge slices of eggplant in flour, then dip in the egg, coating both sides. Turn the eggplant in the bread crumbs pressing firmly on each side. Place eggplant in oil and cook until browned on both sides. Remove eggplant and place on paper towels to drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil in large saute pan over medium heat. Dredge both sides of the scaloppini in flour, shake off excess flour, then place into the pan. Saute the veal until lightly browned on both sides, drain oil and return to heat.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of butter. On each slice of veal place one slice of prosciutto, one slice of eggplant, a little marinara sauce, then one slice of mozzarella.
- Add white wine and broth, then place a drop of marinara on top of each slice of mozzarella, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes then place pan in oven.
- Cook in oven until the mozzarella is melted.
- Remove pan from the oven and transfer the scaloppine to a warm plate. If the juices in the pan are thin and runny, turn the heat up to high and reduce them, scraping loose with a wooden spoon any cooking residue from the bottom and sides of the pan, until it has the density of sauce. Pour sauce over scaloppine and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins